In a world full of cutting-edge technologies, sensational innovations, artistic tools, and intelligent applications, we are forgetting to talk about the artisans behind those amazing creations. Oh, wait! You might be wondering why I am referring to developers as artisans. Well, every creation resulting from a successful combination of intelligent tools, skills, and mindfulness is an art. Today’s digital artisans deal with numerous virtual tools and technologies to churn out one successful product. The same goes for freelancers; they not only have to do their job, but manage project timelines, decide on pricing, and keep track of deadlines to submit work on time. This makes it crucial for them to get their hands on some efficient tools that can ease their work. To work under the constant pressure of looming deadlines, it becomes crucial to skillfully manage everything together.
Here are some lookouts freelancers are required to keep a tab on:
- Productivity: It all starts with time; optimizing time is crucial. Using simple and easy-to-use software to tally the time spent with clients in meetings, and organizing a to-do list will help you keep an eye on your productivity.
- Learning: Every new project is an opportunity for further learning. The insights gathered during your project journey will help you efficiently and effectively take your new steps.
- Finance: Being in one’s power would require one to manage their finances. But, being in charge will need you to reduce costs wherever possible, offer a host of benefits, and reduce stress to efficiently manage your finances.
- Mindfulness: Besides all the hard work, it is important to respect your mental health and energy too. Creating a balance in your workflows will help you dedicate more time to priority work.
- Communication: Whether you are working with in-person or remote clients, communication is crucial for healthy client relationships. Communication is the key to optimizing your workload.
Six best software for the freelancer of 2022
As a freelancer, you must play the role of owner + finance manager + admin manager - all in one! Acutely planning tasks, executing the workflows, and following deadlines, make software, tools, and templates a non-negotiable part of any freelancer’s workflow. Managing workload effectively is one of the most significant skills freelancers need to have. Tools help freelancers to maintain demand, improve workflow, maintain client relationships, and deliver quality work. Here are the six best software that acts as lifesavers for freelancers.
Project management software:
Freelancing is a tricky, one-person show that either ends up in success or a life-long struggle. The work day for freelancers is full of diverse tasks starting from creating a proposal, drafting contracts, client on-boarding, creating invoices, and tax compliance. And after this rollercoaster ride, they have to get on the business execution part that is going to make money. We all think of how well organized we are but do we actually not need the support of any software or applications? Well, not sure about everyone else, but freelancers do surely need it. Being a single entity executing and managing so much individually, there’s certainly something bound to go wrong. Right from time management to task management, project management software makes it easier for freelancers. Here’s how project management tools can help:
- Program Management software application makes sure all the lined-up projects are executed and managed properly.
- It makes the tracking of your tasks and progresses transparent and traceable.
- It manages your meeting with the clients, keeping track of all interactions for future reference.
- It prioritizes the tasks depending upon the urgency and makes the project information easily accessible through user interfaces.
- You can manage the risk factor by ensuring all the risks and potential threats related to the development of the project are tracked and eradicated without any damage.
Similar to full-time businesses, freelancers also feel the need to keep their customer interactions and relationships sturdy. Customer relationship management systems are designed to centralize transactions, customer interactions, and projects. Here’s how to evaluate the best CRM software for freelancers in 2022:Similar to full-time businesses, freelancers also feel the need to keep their customer interactions and relationships sturdy. Customer relationship management systems are designed to centralize transactions, customer interactions, and projects.
Here’s how to evaluate the best CRM software for freelancers in 2022:
- Allows users to generate follow-up tasks, schedule and track appointments, and make notes for every lead, account, contact, and deal.
- Users should be able to make calls within the app, as well as send messages using SMS, email, social media, chat, and other channels.
- The software should allow users to get insights into website visitors, their interests, and engagement levels.
- It allows users to create proposals, quotes, non-disclosure agreements (NDAs), contracts, master service agreements (MSAs), and other business documents.
A freelancer’s work-life is peppered with documentation. Vendor contracts, invoices, SOPs, NDAs, etc., are only a small number of documents that a self-employed person must handle on a day-to-day basis. Thankfully, top-of-the-line electronic signature software with the best security features makes a strong presence felt in the market in digital documentation and online workflows.
- Removes time and location constraints; you can quickly sign any document from anywhere.
- eSignatures are legally binding and secure that keep all your confidential data safe. You can also use e-signed documents as proof in a court of law.
- Most platforms provide an intelligent dashboard to allow document tracking.
- You can invite one or multiple signatories to sign a document online.
- Proposals, contracts, tax documents, etc., can be signed online with the help of an eSignature solution.
DrySign is an eSignature software that enables users to securely sign contracts, agreements, and forms online. Paving the way for paperless offices, solutions like DrySign also give freelancers the freedom to keep doing business even when they are on the move.
Also Read: How Digital Signatures can Help Freelancers - Photographers
Freelancers are on their own, in charge of everything, right from invoicing and following on payments to compliance with the latest legal and tax rules, and everything must be done without delays. In a nutshell, if you are not clued into your finances, in all probability, you won’t be in business for long. This makes it imperative for freelancers to have good accounting software that can help with the invoices and bills, and deliver easy-to-understand reports to give a comprehensive view of your income at the end of the tax year. On top of this, a few comprehensive freelancer accounting software incorporates a broad range of features, including project management, time tracking, integration with online payment portals, bank account integration, and receipt scanning. Here’s what makes accounting software well-suited for any freelancer, irrespective of whether they are just starting out or are on top of their game:
Bonsai, Freshbooks, Freely, Quickbooks, Harpoon, and Fiverr Workspace are a few of the trending accounting software that will ease your job by simplifying the finances.
- The user interface should be easy to use, intuitive, and have all the adequate information needed for accounting.
- The software should focus on core accounting features such as tracking payments, invoicing, and logging deductible expenses.
- The application must allow digital receipts, digital records, and managing expenses through any digital device.
- The pricing should be fair and allow users to upgrade as per the requirements.
Time tracking software:
Time tracking software has become increasingly popular among freelancers in the past few years. Being mindful of the ways you spend time is one of the best steps you can choose to be more productive, efficient, and organized at work, saving time in the long run. If you are looking to get serious about time management, then time tracking tools will help a lot. Here are some factors that will help you choose the best time tracker software:
Platforms like ClickUp, Buddy Punch, Toggl, Atracker, and Harvest are the top time tracking software you can choose from.
- A live timer can be used to track the time you are spending on an active task.
- Time edits allow you to do more than enter and edit times. It allows users to customize the entry in any way and format they prefer.
- Getting detailed reports is the most important feature one would look for. The reports should be easy to understand and comprise all the information you need.
- Some applications that allow you to track daily activities, such as not forgetting to drink water or reminding you to exercise, are also a great way of tracking how you spend your day in a balanced way and avoiding the risk of over-exhaustion and burnout.
File sharing is an integral part of freelancing. Whether you want to share files with clients or fellow freelancers, you should be aware of the best way to do it right. For smaller files of up to 20 MB, email is the easiest way to share files. However, you will need an individual solution to share larger files. On top of this, to avoid the risk of data loss or theft, it is crucial to have a trusted solution. To name a few, Google Drive, Droplr, Dropbox, Huddle, and Box are some renowned names to choose from for your file sharing needs.
It’s a wrap!
Being a freelancer isn’t easy; it comes with myriad responsibilities and tasks. Although not unmanageable! With the adherence and the right combination of tools and technologies, you can thrive in the modern business world. The above-mentioned software can ease your administrative work, helping you focus on more priority tasks that help you scale profits. And as we know, no deal can be signed off without signatures. E-signatures have come to our rescue; they make everything easy and accessible to simplify the freelancing journey. DrySign e-signatures are legally binding and encrypted to ensure end-to-end security. Get DrySign to see the change now.
DISCLAIMER: The information on this site is for general information purposes only and is not intended to serve as legal advice. Laws governing the subject matter may change quickly, and Exela cannot guarantee that all the information on this site is current or correct. Should you have specific legal questions about any of the information on this site, you should consult with a licensed attorney in your area.